Enjoying the complex flavors of carefully curated and crafted teas or whiskeys involves a refined nose and palate. ITO EN Barrel-Aged Hojicha elevates the experience to a higher level by infusing our Japanese roasted green tea with the rich flavors & aromas found in Kings County Distillery Peated Bourbon whiskey barrels. The result is a uniquely balanced, complex green tea that can be enjoyed by tea and whiskey connoisseurs alike.
How To Brew
This tea requires high heat: use boiled water to brew.
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole vanilla beans, split and halved or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 16 oz filtered water
- 4 tsp Barrel-Aged Hojicha tea leaves
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 oz Bourbon
- Honey, to taste
- Combine water, ginger and vanilla beans in a small saucepan, bring water to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes
- Strain infused water, discard ginger and vanilla beans
- Return infused water to a boil and then use it to brew hojicha
- Measure 4 tsp Barrel-Aged Hojicha tea leaves, brew with 8 oz of infused water for 30 seconds
- Divide brewed hojicha evenly into two mugs, add 1 oz bourbon in each cup and mix with honey to taste
- Garnish with lemon slices, and enjoy!
- Does the Barrel-Aged Hojicha taste like whiskey?
Our Barrel-Aged tea does has heavy notes of whiskey—particularly on the finish—but you will still be able to taste the flavor of the roasted green tea.
- What tea was used for the Barrel-Aged Hojicha?
We used our Organic Hojicha, sourced from Shizouka, Japan.
- Is this tea certified organic?
Unfortunately no. While the Hojicha itself is certified organic, but the finished product is not certified because of the aging process.
- Where was this tea made?
Our tea was grown in Japan, and Barrel-Aged and packed in Brooklyn, NY.
- Where did the whiskey barrel come from?
We sourced Peated Bourbon Whiskey Barrels from our friends at King County Distillery, located just a short walk from our office in Brooklyn, NY. If you're a fan of whiskey, you should definitely check them out.
- What is peated bourbon?
Peated bourbon is bourbon whiskey that meets American requirements for bourbon but is made with malted barley. The barley is smoked with peat—a tradition commonly associated with Scotch whiskies. If bourbon and scotch had a baby, this is what it would taste like. Check out King County Distillery's website to learn more!
- Do you add any flavorings to the barrel-aged tea?
No additional flavorings are added to our Barrel Aged Hojicha. All of the whiskey, caramel, peat, and toffee notes in the tea come from the barrel itself.
- Does this tea contain any alcohol?
The tea may contain trace amounts of alcohol absorbed through the aging process in the empty barrel. The alcohol by volume is less than 0.5%.
- Will you make more of this stuff?